The civilians were killed and 10 others wounded in Sa'ada province after
attacks on a house and a private vehicle, the UN's Humanitarian
Coordinator in Yemen Jamie McGoldrick said, citing reports from fellow
aid groups. On Friday, three women and six children from the same family
were also killed in an airstrike by the Saudi-led coalition on their
home in the area.
The new incidents are an example of the "brutality" of the conflict,
McGoldrick said in the statement in which he expressed deep
concern. "All parties to the conflict continue to show a disregard for
the protection of civilians and the principle of distinction between
civilians and combatants in the conduct of hostilities."
But the UN Humanitarian agency should keep in mind that the same
brutality is happening in Syria, where the United States and its allies
target civilians in their indiscriminate airstrikes. For instance, in
the terror-held city of Raqqa there is no obvious specific target for
the US-led airstrikes, though the US has been generally targeting ISIL
forces within the city to try to back the Kurdish-led invasion. The
casualties in this case appear to be overwhelmingly civilians. The
Syrian government has complained many times to the UN Security Council
about the US airstrikes, saying they are excessively targeting civilians
and basic infrastructure, but to no avail.
Tragically, the only thing the UN has done thus far is to condemn these
repeated killings – even though the world body is fully in the know that
the unprovoked aggression against Yemen is for all the wrong reasons.
The unprovoked conflict is in fact a smokescreen. The alliance between
Saudi, American and Israeli interests gives the false story about the
alleged Iranian takeover of Yemen additional legs, passed on to
"fakestream” media from Tel Aviv. Fanning a bogus Shiite-Sunni conflict
seems to be a great idea for Riyadh, enthusiastically seconded by its
protector and close ally, Israel.
With these in mind, the blitz boys of so many Arab and Western states
are attacking and destroying Yemen’s lifelines for all the criminal
reasons. This unqualified alliance stems from motives for regional
domination and more. They want to split Yemen, with no intention to
comply with International Humanitarian Law, let alone take feasible
measures to minimize harm to civilians.
Little wonder the United Nations and the International Committee of the
Red Cross say they condemn these atrocities and they are extremely
worried about the severe damage caused by the Saudi-led attacks on
civilian infrastructure. The destruction of key logistic infrastructure,
including airports, seaports, bridges and roads is having alarming
consequences on the civilian population. The humanitarian situation has
now become catastrophic.
The current conflict has already caused extreme hardship for the
population across the country. The destruction of logistic
infrastructure means countless lives are now more at risk, and the UN
can no longer afford to stand and watch as people suffer and die of
preventable causes. The world body has a duty to demand that robust and
unobstructed channels for the provision of humanitarian assistance are
opened and respected by the war-mongers in this increasingly desperate
The UN should also realize that condemnation per se is not enough. There
is an urgent need to a halt in the war. The UN should call for an end
to the criminal strikes against civilians. It’s the only way to ensure
no more lives are lost in the blockaded country.
There is just one added piece of information that the world should know:
So far the Saudi-led, US-backed airstrikes have failed to force Yemen
into submission. The country is facing a humanitarian disaster. Aid
agencies say the air and sea blockade is preventing the country from
importing food on which it is wholly reliant. Hospitals are closing
because they have no medicine and no fuel for generators. But the nation
and the resistance group of Ansarullah are still standing.
The continuing national tragedy of Yemen must not be overlooked. Women
and children have borne the brunt of the increase in civilian
casualties, with UN blaming the use of improvised explosive devices and
aerial operations in populated areas for the jump. The coalition has hit
markets, hospitals, clinics, schools, factories, wedding parties and
hundreds of private residences in villages, towns and cities. And it
continues to do so "with unacceptable regularity,” according to the UN.
For all the Saudi diplomatic posturing, the massacre of defenseless
civilians is state-sponsored murder in its most perfect form. The
International Law is clear: Saudi Arabia and its allies have no right to
drop bombs over civilians. The airstrikes are lawless and unaccountable
to the United Nations. The war benefits terrorist groups like ISIL and
Al-Qaeda. In fact, it is compounding rather than diminishing the threat
of international terrorism.